Lynn English High School
Honors Biology I
Course Syllabus 2017-2018
Lynn English High School Mission Statement
The mission of the LEHS community is to have students become self-directed, life-long learners who acquire core knowledge, think critically and collaboratively, and effectively utilize technology to communicate and participate in a global society. We foster respectful, responsible behavior and leadership in a safe and supportive environment.
COURSE #: LY401 – PREREQUISITES: Grade of A- or better in 8th grade biology
Course Objectives: Biology is the study of life. We will study what living things are, how they interact with each other and their environment, and how they are similar and different. Using the scientific method, we will investigate problems and issues in biology. With that knowledge, you will think critically and develop the ability to use higher order thinking skills to come to conclusions just as scientists do.
Textbook: Modern Biology; Holt, Rinehart and Winston
MY Website: For class assignments, grades, worksheets and helpful links – http://bulldogbiology.com
- 3 ring binder
- 6 Dividers- Labeled: Biochemistry, Cells, Genetics, A & P, Evolution, Ecology
- Notebook paper for binder notes and homework
- Folder for labs, handouts and assessments
- Colored pencils, pack of 12
- Package of pencils-12 for lab work; assessments
- ALWAYS come to class prepared with a pen or pencil, preferably both
COURSE OUTLINE – Proposed topics for 2015-2016
- Introduction to Biology
- Cells Structure and Function
- DNA and protein synthesis
- Anatomy and Physiology
|LEHS UNIFORM GRADING POLICY|
|Assignment / Assessment||Honors classes|
|Class work||1 grade|
|Collins / Writing||2 grades|
|Quarterly Exam||2 grades|
|Mid- term Exam||4 grades|
|Final Exam||4 grades|
|Research paper*||1-4 grades|
|Special Projects**||1-4 grades|
GRADES: YOUR GRADE WILL BE BASED ON A POINT SYSTEM WHERE ALL WORK CARRIESA CERTAIN # OF POINTS: ASSESSMENTS-100, MIDTERM + FINAL 200, LABS-25, QUIZZES 50, HOMEWORK, CLASSWORK, WARM-UPS, 5 PTS EACH ASSIGNMENT; PROJECTS 100-200 PTS. MOST QUARTERS WILL TOTAL 1000 POINTS. GRADES WILL BE POSTED BIWEEKLY ON MY WEBSITE. THE LINK IS BELOW AND YOU WILL BE GIVEN A PASSWORD TO ACCESS YOUR GRADES. THE LINK IS ALSO FOUND ON MY HOME PAGE www.bulldogbiology.com.
***GRADES POSTED ON HOME ACCESS***
Homework: Your homework assignments will be reading your text and answering questions from the textbook or completing worksheets each night. Homework will be assigned weekly and must be complete at the beginning of the class the day it is due, or it is considered late. Late work is accepted for 5 days, each day losing 5 points, becoming a “0” after the 5th day.
MAKE-UP WORK: All work is to be passed in on time. Any work missed due to absence is due by the following Wednesday which is my night back. All assessments are to be made up by the next week or you will not receive any points for that assessment or quiz. Projects must be passed in on the due date. It’s like a job, if you don’t show up, you don’t get paid!
DO NOW/Warm ups: Warm ups will be given at the beginning of each class. They will be a question, mini-sheet or a thinking activity usually based on your previous night’s homework or an MCAS question. When you enter the class, look at the board and do your warm up! Warm ups should be dated and answered in your journal.
Labs: Lab reports will follow a strict format and all questions must be answered in complete and coherent sentences. Labs are to be neat, analyzed and concluded. Take the time to think about what you did and how it pertains to the material you have been studying. We will be responsible for practicing safe lab procedures as well as adhering to lab rules.
Assessments will be as follows:
- Usually every Friday you will have a quiz or chapter assessment on the current or previous weeks’ work.
- If you are absent, it is your responsibility to make it up. *My Night back is Wednesday, Tuesday the first week of the month*
- Alternative assessments such as projects or writing assignments will be assigned as we go.
SIMPLE CLASSROOM RULES
- ENTER THE CLASSROOM, ANSWER YOUR WARM UP QUESTION, HAVE YOUR BIOLOGY BINDER OUT AND READY FOR CLASS
- Please respect me and your classmates, there is NOT TO BE ANY TALKING WHEN I AM TEACHING.
- IF YOU NEED TO GO TO THE BATHROOM PLEASE! PLEASE! –ASK BEFORE-ASK AFTER; DO NOT ASK DURING CLASS . TIME WILL BE MADE UP AT 2:30 IF I HAVE TO STOP EVERYONE’S LEARNING TO WRITE YOU A PASS TO THE BATHROOM.
- NO FOOD OR DRINK IN THE CLASSROOM
*Please sign and have your parent or guardian sign acknowledging that you BOTH have read all the above information and agree to adhere to all classroom policies.
Parent Signature Date Student Signature Date